Monday 3 September 2012

"Weight Watching", or "Funny what you find when you buy a new fridge"

It has been a funny few years since I last blogged. I tend to use Facebook to catalogue the mini hilarities which come from having a daughter like Flo, but my new quest is a little different, and not one I want to plaster all over Facebook because a)it's a bit personal, b) I might fail miserably and c) I'm not that anal that I want to shout about what I had for breakfast on peoples' newsfeed. With that in mind, the occasional blog post about my lifelong battle with my weight will have to do for now.

Before I was pregnant I was generally around 14 and a half stone and a comfortable size 16 - yeah, heavy enough, and big enough, I agree. I actually lost weight in the early months of pregnancy, not through sickness, but from eating more healthily. I was lighter after giving birth than before I started. All sounds great, particularly when you factor in the virtually guaranteed weightloss associated with breastfeeding. Yeah, well breastfeeding stopped more than 18 months ago and my eating pattern has not improved. Scott and I are eating more convenience food, more takeaways and, well, just more!

I've no idea how much I weigh now, but I would imagine it's somewhere between 15st 4lb and 16st and an uncomfortable size 18. Not good. My clothes generally still fit, but I'm noticing shirts are straining around the belly which had returned to flat (ish) after pregnancy, so I can't blame baby belly, just food and drink.

 Last night I went online to buy a new fridge (lovely retro one!) and found a super cheap, reliable supplier who offer cashback through Quidco, so I had a browse of Quidco's site and found that they also have a cashback deal with Weightwatchers. Now, I've done WW before, so I know it works for me for weightloss, and for longer-term eating habits. That said, I was always crap at having £5.25 with me each week for the meeting, so I was pleased to see they do a monthly pre-pay plan. £10 cashback for the first month, which was a reduced rate of £16.95 already has actually given me the push I needed to go for it.

Weightwatchers has lots of e-tools for tracking your eating through the day, and rewards you for exercising, so I've started logging my food from this morning - Weetabix x 2 = 3 points, plus another 2pts for semi-skimmed milk (I'll be changing to skimmed, as it's half the points) and a sliced banana on top (bananas were always a point each on the old WW plan, but now they're free, so bananas ahoy!!!) has made for a yummy breakfast.

My first meeting is on Wednesday, so I'll be blogging again with a definite start weight and a 5% weightloss goal. I'll be putting up a suitably gross "before" photo too, and will start measuring my waist, hip, bust and thighs to see if weight and size decrease at the same time. It's not going to be easy, but I'm going to be brutally honest about how this goes, as for me the shame of being as big as I am and as unfit as I am far outweighs the image of jolly Jeanie. New mindset established - let's do this!

1 comment:

Thanks for your support! :D