Wednesday 12 September 2012

Birthday Week - Eek!

This week could have been pretty disastrous as far as my Weight Watchers diet is concerned - a toddler birthday party with very tempting finger food, cakes, and of course, more than a little stress; a big (nay, huge!) friends and family party with yet more cake, a huge vat of chilli and alcohol; the obligatory family meal at the local pub, plus the amazing news that I got a new job. All adds up to weight gain, rather than loss, on the face of it, doesn't it?

Well, I was very good on Saturday, making sure there were lots of fruit options in terms of snacks. I allowed myself a slice of chocolate cake at the kids party, and tracked it using my points calculator - 6 points! For the grown-up party I made a chilli using lean beef mince, lots of veg and chopped tomatoes, plus a vegetarian option made with beans and veg. I gave myself just a small portion of rice, some nachos and low-fat soured cream, and a mixture of both the meat and veg chilli, resulting in a filling, hearty meal.

Alcohol can be a problem for me at parties, as I tend to wander around with a huge wine (beer?) glass and keep topping up. Instead of this usually sad state of affairs, I opted for a bottle of Bulmers (again, 6 points) which lasted forever, some sugar-free fizzy pop and then a late small glass of rioja. Yum! This did mean that I was a bit of a grumpy arse by the end of the night, as everyone else was much more drunk than I was, and I was rather too aware of the noise we were making. All in all though, not bad.

A family meal with Flo and Scott on my birthday (the Sunday) was pretty successful - gammon, jacket potato and peas with a fried egg and slice of pineapple. I'd saved my points through the week, so still managed to stay within my limits. Fantastic!

Finding out I had a new job was a bit brilliant, but also made me want to celebrate/commiserate imminently leaving M&S. Thorntons Moments were a good option - one point each, easy to control myself.

Even with my self-control, I still had a slice of birthday cake for breakfast this morning, then a "slightly-too-large-to-be-diet-worthy" bowl of vege chilli for lunch. Weigh in this evening at Marchwood was scary. Usually in the first week you're expected to lose 4-6lb. I would be lucky not to PUT ON! So I was very relieved to find I'd lost 2lb, meaning I'm now down to 30points per week, and aiming for a better weight loss next week. I'm not entirely thrilled, but certainly not disappointed. 

Onwards and upwards (or downwards, whichever way you look at it!).

1 comment:

  1. Wow you did very well indeed to stay so focused amongst all the partying. I am impressed. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your support! :D